EPISODE 3: SWEET VALLEY HIGH & KLASSICS KORNER

• AUTHOR: // CATEGORY: podcast, Uncategorized

18 Comments

Today, we get silly. We discuss the various merits and demerits of Sweet Valley High. We revisit the classics, but upon Julia’s insistence, we give it the stupid name “Classics Corner– with two K’s!” See, that makes it friendly and approachable… right?

Let us know what you think in the comments, and please enjoy!

COMMENTS

18 Responses to Episode 3: Sweet Valley High & Klassics Korner

• Jessica wrote on April 24, 2012 at 9:06 //

You guys are too funny! I almost wish I had read the Sweet Valley High books when I was a kid, but I was far too into Nancy Drew and The Black Stallion. But…I did read all those Saddle Club books. Still, all of those were clearly very tame compared to SVH.

• nikki @ clickclackgorilla wrote on April 25, 2012 at 10:39 //

Another awesome episode! Hilarious choice of book this time as well. I never really got into these (did read one to see what everybody was so into); I was too busy reading everything ever written by RL Stein and Christopher Pike (shudder, and by the way, are they real people as well? something I need to look up). What’s the next book up for discussion?

• literarydisco wrote on April 25, 2012 at 7:48 //

Julia here– I read the Saddle Club, too. Obsessively. And Nikki, I’m thrilled to report that RL Stine is definitely a real person.

• Jenn Doyle wrote on April 26, 2012 at 12:54 //

It is creepy how much date rape was a theme in the series, you have the whole Liz/ Bruce thing in Chapter 7 and for the rest of the series it is implied that Bruce pushes the limits with whoever he is dating and then there is the whole thing with Lila and John, I had forgotten about the Todd/Jessica event in this book. I remember these seemed totally normal to me when I read them as a kid, not so much when they are revisited.

• Lauren wrote on April 27, 2012 at 2:48 //

I love it! We just did a few chats about YA lit at our blog, and talked quite a bit about SVH (among other things). Please do more awesome retro YA lit podcasts!

• Laura wrote on April 28, 2012 at 3:35 //

Why had I never heard of Sweet Valley High before you mentioned you had a podcast planned to discuss it?! I feel so out of the loop! I asked a couple of ladies about it and every one of them said they were obsessed with SVH as kids. I guess I was more of a Babysitter’s Club/Saddle Club kind of gal.

• Jamie wrote on April 30, 2012 at 10:50 //

I’m kind of shocked and amused at the same time with this whole Sweet Valley thing. I’m pretty sure I only read them because my mom had the whole series. Along with babysitters club, saddle club, and all the spin offs.
    Listening to this sort of dug up a bunch of buried memories about something that my elementary school English called writers workshop. So basically I was so into these books that I used to write short stories with Jessica and Elizabeth as the main characters. I can’t believe with the content that I was so enthralled that

• Jamie wrote on April 30, 2012 at 10:52 //

Well my phone.decided to post before I was.done but basically I’m just amused and a little worried that with this content I was so drawn in, enough that I.created my own spinoff.

• Whitney wrote on May 1, 2012 at 6:19 //

Seriously this made my lunch break. Thank you guys so much.

• Maria wrote on May 1, 2012 at 7:43 //

Gossip Girl is not in SoCal, its in NYC. Sweet Valley appealed to me because I wanted to escape into a fantasy world. You don’t really pick up on date rape themes reading it at the target age. I’d love to hear what you guys think of Sweet Valley Confidential.

• literarydisco wrote on May 1, 2012 at 8:23 //

Maria, you are 100% correct: Gossip Girl IS New York, and when I listening to myself say that on the podcast, I was horrified at my error. Ranting will do that to a girl, it seems. I’m surprised you’re the only one who has said anything!

— Julia

• Alicia wrote on May 3, 2012 at 8:57 //

As an avid YA fiction reader, and someone who has way too many theories about what young and teen-age readers read and why, the analysis of SVH was incredibly interesting. Plus the idea of Rider and Tod walking around with Sweet Valley High books in public…added giggly bonus.
    To be fair, I was thoroughly a Baby-Sitter’s Club girl, and I’d love to one day lead a literary conversation with my business partner based on those books. I never thought of them as teaching small business skills before.

• Jayne wrote on May 9, 2012 at 6:10 //

Loved the Sweet Valley dissection. I remember reading some Sweet Valley Twins, and also identifying (a little, as much as a non-Californian non-blonde non-rich girl could) with Elizabeth as she wanted to be a writer. Back then, my first idea of America was actually probably based on Sweet Valley Twins, thinking about it, (scary thought!) and then I found Ramona, and Judy Blume, and after that my reading sort of exploded. I remember S.E. Hinton was a fave but by then there was a definite blur between reading YA and adult. I totally leapfrogged Sweet Valley Dreams though – landed on Stephen King’s ‘It’, which is still probably my favourite of his books.

• Bree wrote on August 18, 2012 at 5:26 //

You guys need to read the adult ones… Sweet Valley Confidential was the first one. And they’re continuing on. I am reading the next one now. And no, I have no shame about this.

• Kate wrote on August 29, 2012 at 11:40 //

Sweet Valley High was awesome. The Sweet Valley Confidential had me hooked again and I’ve just finished reading the new 6 e-book series Sweet Valley:The Sweet Life where they are in their 30’s. Jess is married with a kid…They still have it!

• Rebecca wrote on October 31, 2012 at 10:48 //

Lovedlovedloved this ‘cast. I wasn’t into SVH when I was a kid (BSC all the way!) but for some reason, one of the SVH books found its way onto my sister shelve as of late and when ever I visit her, we nerd it up and carry it around with us and take turns reading it aloud to each other when we are waiting for anything. They are totally the best when read aloud! Too funny. I am lvoing all the ‘casts when you guys go back and read stuff from your past. Can so relate to so much of it.