EPISODE 12: STORY SONGS!

• AUTHOR: // CATEGORY: podcast

7 Comments

It’s time to get back to school and, because we’re grown-ups now, we assigned ourselves some easy homework. Tod attempts to convince Julia & Rider that “Story Songs” are a legitimate literary genre, only to offer up sappy songs about serendipitous taxis. Julia and Rider try somewhat harder, but not much. The only thing that saves them from this silly episode is a bookshelf revisit in which they each read something great.

COMMENTS

7 Responses to Episode 12: Story Songs!

• Jo wrote on September 5, 2012 at 1:17 //

for fans of apocalyptic doomsday stories I suggest Take Shelter, for the Donnie Darko-esque it sticks with you for days after feeling… also pretty bummed Julia doesnt sing ‘Lucky’ again as taken from an earlier story song convo that had em rollin in the aisles.

• Laura wrote on September 6, 2012 at 12:40 //

“25 Minutes To Go” was also written by Shel Silverstein 🙂

• literarydisco wrote on September 6, 2012 at 9:07 //

Wow! Shel Silverstein is awesome. That’s what I learned from this episode.

And I’m sorry I didn’t sing “Lucky” again… I promise, I’ll sing more terrible pop at other times.

— Julia

• steph wrote on September 9, 2012 at 12:28 //

no mention of bob dylan? the hurricane is my quintessential story song! i also think ani difranco does a mean story song. and julia – we def need more singing of underrated 90s pop hits 🙂

• literarydisco wrote on September 17, 2012 at 11:50 //

I’m pretty sure we mentioned Bob Dylan in a segment that was cut. There are just so many to choose from. What I’m hearing is a demand for another episode about music. — Julia

• Master wrote on October 13, 2012 at 12:16 //

Yeah, I’ve spent some time exploring new music with Pandora too. It’s been a liltte while since I’ve done that though. I should do it more. I like how you can use it to a certain extent to analyze different music.

• Rider wrote on September 18, 2012 at 1:37 //

Hey guys, I just posted a note on our facebook page with some more of my favorite story songs (yes, including some Ani, I’m a huge fan of her early stuff).
    Here’s a link: https://www.facebook.com/notes/literary-disco/riders-story-songs-list/437800392933164