EPISODE 16: PILLARS OF THE EARTH

• AUTHOR: // CATEGORY: podcast

7 Comments

Long ago, in a land far away, three friends decided to take on an inconceivable project. One would read a book. One would listen to the audiobook of that book. One would watch a miniseries of the audiobook of that book. And lo, how did they feel about this book– which happens to be very popular– and this audiobook, and this miniseries? Did they build a great cathedral of praise, or raise a church of complaint? (Please note: The Pillars of the Earth contains many violent descriptions of sexual assault, which we discuss.)

COMMENTS

7 Responses to Episode 16: Pillars of the Earth

• Rix wrote on November 6, 2012 at 4:37 //

ill be honest pillars of the earth sounds good to me; i wanna read it for myself 😀

• literarydisco wrote on November 20, 2012 at 4:48 //

We approve this sentiment. Go read!

• PRI wrote on November 20, 2012 at 1:30 //

Revisiting your bookshelf revisit I must suggest reading The Brain that Change Itself by Norman Doidge. Accompanying some humdrum textbooks for my neurobiology and behavior class, my professors assigned The Brain That Changes Itself as part of the reading requirement.I highly recommend it! Although it is more on the scientific side than philosophy, it is still very compelling.

• bazilli wrote on November 21, 2012 at 5:28 //

If I have a mortal enemy, it is this book. Thank you for agreeing.

• KarenR wrote on December 6, 2012 at 8:46 //

I am so glad to find others that feel the same way I do about this horribly LAME book. Thank you for pointing out so many shortfalls in plot, character development, creepy sex/rape interweaving, to say the least. I also think Oprah has done her viewers and reading audience an injustice by offering up Follett to them as a great epic master. I saw her interview with him after reading this crap book and I thought I was truly missing something. Thank you for substantiating that I did not miss the mark at all.

• Nonna wrote on December 21, 2012 at 2:40 //

I didn’t hate it, but I agree that the characters are one-dimensional and it was waaay too long. On the other hand, I really liked the first volume of the 20th Century trilogy. (The second volume not so much.)